Sunday, May 17, 2009

RIP! A Remix Manifesto

From Disinfo.com:

Can you find Girl Talk on iTunes? You can if you watch...

RIP! A Remix Manifesto

An "Open Source" Documentary About Copyright and Remix Culture

Filmmaker Brett Gaylor explores issues of copyright in the information age, mashing up the media landscape of the 20th century and shattering the wall between users and producers. The film's central protagonist is Girl Talk, a mash-up musician topping the charts with his sample-based songs. But is Girl Talk a paragon of people power or the Pied Piper of piracy?

Which side of the ideas war are you on?

1 comment:

Edward L. said...

I actually wasn't that aware of Girl Talk until I saw the film at a screening a few weeks ago. Even though I was initially uncertain about how I felt on the subject, the film did a remarkable job of swaying my opinion in favor of copyright loosening. Particularly the discussions and illustrations of the manners in which culture builds upon the past. I'm glad to see the film is available on iTunes and through their website (http://www.ripremix.com/getdownloads/) now because it will certainly spur some interesting discussion.